Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters and its affiliated organizations seek to hire a Communications Manager to devise and implement media strategies and increase media presence statewide to promote conservation. This individual must be able to work independently as well as with a dynamic team and committed Board of Directors to maximize outcomes.
The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (New Jersey LCV) is the leading political voice for the environment in the Garden State. The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters Education Fund is dedicated to maximizing the participation of conservation-minded voters in public policy decisions made at the state and local levels regarding New Jersey’s environment and natural resources.
- Develop, improve, and execute broad and multifaceted communications and media relations strategies involving earned, and paid media efforts designed to achieve the organizations’ missions
- Develop key messages and media-related materials including, but not limited to press releases, media statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, and presentations for events
- Serve as an internal expert of communications content, including thorough keeping up-to-date on messaging guidance from the Conservation Voters Movement and staying informed of all aspects of political and legislative issues that pertain to our organizations’ priorities
- Recognize internal and external communications opportunities and define and execute strategies to leverage them
- Serve as a spokesperson to the media on behalf of New Jersey LCV, when necessary
- Cultivate media contacts and secure press coverage for the organization and its programs, policy, and political work
- Develop and support the creation of materials for varied platforms including reports and policy documents, speeches, donor communications, political communications, the website and occasional emails to members;
- Manage the website for New Jersey LCV (www.njlcv.org) and its Education Fund (www.njlcvef.org), as well as assist with online advocacy and fundraising efforts
- Exercise good judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials
- Plan and execute media events and press conferences
- Work cross-departmentally, create strategy, and lead response for crisis communications and issues management
- Represent the organization at meetings and events
- Serve as a member of the leadership team with a focus on cross-departmental collaboration
- Mentor and develop staff consistently using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to conservation and understanding of environmental issues
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing message materials and working with the media
- Proven media placement abilities
- Proficiency in designing and implementing publicity strategies
- Familiarity with website content management and branding best practices
- Experience working with coalitions preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage a high-volume workload
- Excellent personal organizational and time management skills
- Personable, dependable team player
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Princeton. Must have reliable transportation.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Our national partners, the League of Conservation Voters, handles all hiring and payments.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No calls please.
NJLCV is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.